Abdorrahman Boroumand Center

for Human Rights in Iran

Omid, a memorial in defense of human rights in Iran
One Person’s Story

Yusef Khorasani Qadimi


Age: 64
Nationality: Iran
Religion: Baha'i
Civil Status: Married


Date of Killing: 1980
Location of Killing: No. 9, Maryam Street, Tehran, Tehran Province, Iran
Mode of Killing: Unspecified execution method
Charges: Unknown charge
Age at time of alleged offense: 64

About this Case

Information regarding the life and disappearance of Mr. Yusef Khorasani Qadimi, son of Mirza Kuchak, is based on interviews conducted by the Abdorrahman Boroumand Foundation with people close to him.

Mr. Khorasani Qadimi was born in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan, on April 16, 1915. After completing his elementary education, he moved to Iran along with his family at the age of 15. Since he had graduated from high school with excellent grades, he received a state scholarship and went to Paris, France, to continue his education in management and banking. After returning to Iran, he became the Head of the Currency Department of the Bazar Branch of the Melli Bank. He was fluent in Russian, French, English, and Arabic. He married a French woman in 1954.

According to his son, in addition to his government job, Mr. Khorasani Qadimi also participated in establishment and management of several economic and industrial institutions including Hassas Paper Corporation, and became representative of photocopy and Xerox companies from the Netherlands, Japan, and other countries. He went to Paris during the revolution and came back to Iran at the same time that Ayatollah Khomeini returned. 

Arrest and detention

According to his son, Mr. Khorasani Qadimi was arrested on August 21, 1980. The interviewee was informed by Baha’i families who witnessed the arrest of the nine-member-circle of Baha’is and their two advisors in Tehran that his father was among the arrested. This circle consisted of Abdolhossein Taslimi, Hushang Mahmudi, Ebrahim Rahmani, Dr. Hossein Naji, Manuchehr Qa’m Maqami, General Ataollah Moqarebi, Yusef Khorasani Qadimi, Behiyeh Naderi, and Kambiz Sadeqzadeh. The advisors [assistants] were Dr. Yusef Abbasian and Dr. Heshmatollah Ruhani. 

The Maid Statements

According to Mr. Khorasani Qadimi’s maid, who was always present when the circle’s meetings took place in the house, “Usually, a daylong meeting took place at his three-floor building, number 9 at Mariam Street, parallel to Fereshteh, in Elahieh. (This house was confiscated without any court order several months after the arrest of the owner). Sometimes the meeting lasted until night. It was night when the last meeting ended and members of the circle left one at a time. They knew that some people were watching them around the house. During this meeting, they were talking about what to do about the deteriorating situation in the country. Mr. Khorasani Qadimi was the last person who put his pajamas in a bag and left. We did not see him again. Until his arrest, I only met him once and talked to him over a neighbor’s phone once or twice.”

According to the house’s maid, the surveillance of Mr. Khorasani Qadimi’s house had been ongoing for some time. According to her, “It was early winter in 1980 when tens of armed Revolutionary Guards entered the house, climbing walls and from the rooftop. First, they rang the bell and mentioned a Baha’i’s name so we opened the door. However, as soon as my son saw them, he closed the door and came inside. Only me, my son, and my daughter-in-law were at home and no one else was there. But there had been a meeting of all the circle’s members the night before. During the short time we had, we called Mr. Khorasani Qadimi and informed him.

When Revolutionary Guards entered the house, they began to forcibly search everywhere. They dropped and broke some items in the house. They collected documents and photo albums. They collected some antiques and valuables and whatever they wanted, and put them in their cars. They asked us where the safe was. They stayed until night fell and took whatever they wished. One of the Guards took a box containing gold belonging to Mr. Khorasani Qadimi’s daughter and kept it under his arm wherever he went. Even when he was praying, he put it beside him. I told myself: ‘This prayer is worth nothing, thief!’ I overheard another Guard talking on the phone who told someone that ‘you have a lot of gifts tonight!’” 

According to the house’s maid, “The Guards thought that we knew where he was. We told them that we had no information, that we were only workers, and that they did not tell us anything.” She added: “Before the Guards left, they sealed everywhere except the kitchen and our room. After several days, another group came and searched everywhere again. They were a different group of Revolutionary Guards. Two months later, the third group of Revolutionary Guards came and housed three poor families in the house’s rooms. One of these people was a prostitute who had repented and married a Guard. She was wicked and mischievous and harassed us a lot.” According to the interviewee, this three-floor building was finally confiscated and she, her son, and her daughter-in-law were forced to leave.

In an interview with the Abdorrahman Boroumand Foundation, the house maid described her last meeting with Mr. Khorasani Qadimi: “After Mr. [Khorasani] Qadimi left his house to an unknown location, he called a neighbor several times and we talked. Once we met at Shahanshahi [Mellat] Park. He had grown a mustache and had a cane. My son and I went there. Mr. [Khorasani] Qadimi was worried about us and wanted to see us.”


No information is available on Mr. Khorasani Qadimi’s trial.


No information is available on Mr. Khorasani Qadimi’s charges.


According to the son of Mr. Yusef Khorasani Qadimi, his father and the other members of the Baha’i circle were murdered. According to him, the families did not follow up out of fear of prosecution. 


Correct/ Complete This Entry