Abdorrahman Boroumand Center

for Human Rights in Iran

Omid, a memorial in defense of human rights in Iran
One Person’s Story

Mas'ud Ansari


Age: 30
Nationality: Iran
Religion: Non-Believer
Civil Status: Married


Date of Killing: May 4, 1987
Location of Killing: Evin Prison, Tehran, Tehran Province, Iran
Mode of Killing: Shooting
Charges: Unknown charge

About this Case

The information about Mr. Mas'ud Ansari is based on an interview with his sister. He was born in Khorramabad in 1957 and had two children. He was a student in Tehran Polytechnic University and a sympathizer of the Fadaiyan Khalq Organization. He was arrested once in Khorramabad in August of 1980. He was condemned to six months imprisonment for being a member of the Fadaiyan Khalq Majority, but he was released after four months.

The Fadaiyan Khalq Organization, a Marxist Leninist group, inspired by the Cuban Revolution and the urban guerilla movements of Latin America, was founded in 1971 by two communist groups opposed to the Pahlavi regime. Following the 1979 Revolution, the Organization, which had renounced armed struggle, split over their support of the Islamic Republic and of the Soviet Union. The Fadaiyan Khalq Majority considered the Islamic Republic as a revolutionary and anti-imperialist regime and supported it. After the spring of 1983, however, the Islamic Republic targeted its members solely because of their political beliefs.

Arrest and detention

Mr. Mas'ud Ansari was arrested in Tehran while going to a house for a meeting on October 20, 1984. The house was surrounded by Revolutionary Guards. They beat him severely before arresting him. According to the interviewee, he told the family later about the circumstances of his arrest. He was held at the Joint Committee, Khorramabad prison, and Evin prison. Five months after his arrest, he had a visit from his mother. During this visit, the marks of torture and signs of solitary confinement were evident on his body. According to his sister, he was tortured severely at the Joint Committee and at Khorramabad prison in such a way that he lost his psychological balance and his memory, and suffered from severe headaches. During a visit with his wife after returning from Khorramabad, he did not recognize her and spoke gibberish. According to one of his cellmates, he was given tranquilizers and slept most of the time.


No information is available on the defendant’s trial. According to his sister quoting a cellmate, one day Mr. Ansari returned from interrogation and told his cellmate that he hit his interrogator. Shortly after, his name was called and he was executed.


No information is available on Mas'ud Ansari's charges.

Evidence of guilt

The report of this execution does not contain information regarding the evidence provided against the defendant.


No information is available about his defense. Mr. Mas'ud Ansari was denied the right to have an attorney.


No specific information is available about the defendant's execution sentence. According to his sister quoting a cellmate, Mr. Mas'ud Ansari was executed by firing squad at Evin prison on May 4, 1987. When his mother went to visit him at Evin, the officials told her that he was buried in Khavaran cemetery. She went to Khavaran and searched the fresh soil with her hands until she could recognize her son's pants and finally saw his face. A few days later, she put a metal plaque on the soil with her son's name engraved on it. After some time, the regime's agents destroyed all the graves with a bulldozer. Today, Mr. Ansari's mother has no idea about the location of her son's remains.

Correct/ Complete This Entry