Abdorrahman Boroumand Center

for Human Rights in Iran

Omid, a memorial in defense of human rights in Iran
One Person’s Story

Tatavous Michaelian


Age: 69
Nationality: Iran
Religion: Christianity
Civil Status: Married


Date of Killing: July 2, 1994
Location of Killing: Tehran, Tehran Province, Iran
Mode of Killing: Extrajudicial shooting

About this Case

Reverend Tatavous Michaelian chaired the Council of Protestant Ministers in 1994. It was a time of extraordinary pressure on Christian clergy.

Information about the extrajudicial killing of Reverend Tatavous Michaelian is drawn from a 1995 report by Amnesty International."Amnesty International includes in its definition of extrajudicial executions the killing of specific individuals, which can reasonably be assumed to be the result of government policy at any level."

The Iranian government denied any implication in the victim's death and accused an opposition organization of the crime. The leadership of this organization denied any involvement in this killing for which it blamed "the government."

According to Amnesty's report, following the death of several church leaders, other church leaders were reportedly put under pressure by the authorities to state publicly on television and radio that an opposition group was responsible for the killings. A few of them refused and managed to leave the country secretly for fear of reprisals.

Arrest and detention

Reverend Tatavous Michaelian was not officially arrested or detained. He disappeared after leaving his house on 29 June 1994.


No information is available on the defendant’s trial.


No information is available on charges brought against the defendant.

Evidence of guilt

The report of this execution does not contain information regarding the evidence provided against the defendant.


It is not known if the defendant was granted the opportunity to defend himself.


Amnesty International reports that "Reverend Tatavous Michaelian was found dead in suspicious circumstances on 2 July 1994 after he had allegedly been shot several times in the head. He had not been seen since leaving his home on 29 June 1994. On 2 July 1994 his son was allegedly called by the authorities to identify his body."


Correct/ Complete This Entry